Holy Year of Mercy: December 8, 2015–November 20, 2016:
“A time to heal, to help, to forgive.”
Catholics Invite Catholics:
“Come to Mass in the Lord’s house on the Lord’s day.” A way to remind people of a way to be faithful to the third commandment: Keep holy the Lord’s Day.
• Scripture study classes: Tuesdays after the 9:00 a.m. Mass at St. James the Apostle Church
• New Mass schedules begin June 4 and 5: Saturday 5:00 p.m. at St. James the Apostle, Trumansburg; Sunday 8:15 a.m. at St. Francis Solanus, Interlaken; Sunday 9:30 a.m. at Holy Cross, Ovid; and Sunday 11:00 a.m. at St. James the Apostle, Trumansburg
• Stand Up Comedian: John Crist will be present at the First Baptist Church in Interlaken on Saturday, June 4, 2016 at 7:00 p.m.
• First meeting of the new parish council: June 8 at 7:00 p.m. at St. Francis Solanus
• Merge of the three parishes goes into effect on July 1
• Diocese of Rochester Catholic Men’s Conference: Saturday, October 1, at St. Jude the Apostle Parish 4100 Lyell Road Rochester
Willian Edward Ryan Jr., 81, on May 24, 2016.
New Weekend Mass Schedule:
The new weekend Mass schedule will go into effect the weekend of June 4-5. The times and locations are:
Saturday 5:00 p.m. at St. James the Apostle, Trumansburg
Sunday 8:15 a.m. at St. Francis Solanus, Interlaken
Sunday 9:30 a.m. at Holy Cross, Ovid
Sunday 11:00 a.m. at St. James the Apostle, Trumansburg
Name And Street Address for the Three Churches between the Lakes:
• St. James the Apostle: 17 Whig Street, Trumansburg
• St. Francis Solanus: 3660 Orchard Street, Interlaken
• Holy Cross: 7231 Main Street, Ovid
The selection of the 2016–2017 Parish Council was held last Sunday in each of the three churches. The members are:
• From St. James the Apostle: Andrew Morpurgo, Amy Panek, Kathleen Rourke, Ron Singer, and Barbara Willers
• From St. Francis Solanus: Michelle Barr, Charlotte Huyler, Cathy Millspaugh, Jen Persoon, and Jeanie Wiggins
• From Holy Cross: Donna Brandow, Pam Jasikoff, Phyllis Kaiser, Jessica Portillo, and Nancy Shumway
• The alternates, in case one of the selected members is unable to complete their term, are: Scott Hamula (SJA), Susan Houreknecht (SFS), and Gerry Frank (HC).
We “thank” all who participated in the nomination process, and “thank” all who considered being a member of the new parish council, and a “thank you” to all who agreed to be nominated.
A word of special thanks to all outgoing members for their presence, dedication, and labor to their churches and parishioners. Our prayer that God bless and reward you many times over.
From SJA: Laurie Miller, Eileen Heptig, Linda Scherer, Mary Szymanski, and Russ Wedemeyer.
From SFS: Barbara Butterer, Lee Davidson, Bob Duthie, Ruth Lucas, Pat Messmer, and Patti Perry.
From HC: Rae Arena, Gerry Frank, Marilyn Frank, Pat Guinan, Sally Lemoncelli, Phyllis Motill, Barry Roach, Julie Roach, and Mark Sinkiewicz
The Word Among Us:
A daily approach to prayer and scripture for the month of June, these booklets are now available in the vestibule of the church.
Trumansburg Food Pantry:
June and July are St. James the Apostle’s months to volunteer for the Food Pantry. The dates are June 6 and 20 and July 11 and 18. July’s dates are back to back due to the Fourth of July holiday being on a Monday. Parish volunteers, please sign-up in the vestibule of the church. “Thank you.”
Raffle for the Capuchin Franciscans, Province of St. Mary:
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to win one of three cash prizes totaling $5,000. The Capuchin Franciscan Friars of the Province of St. Mary (the religious order our friars belong to) are conducting a cash raffle during the month of May. Drawing to take place on June 17. Raffle tickets can be purchased for $10 each; 6 for $50. You can purchase tickets outside after Mass or during the week at the parish office.
Maryknoll Priest to Visit:
St. James the Apostle and St. Francis Solanus will have a visiting Maryknoll priest, Fr. Wayman Deasy, MM for the June 4 and 5 weekend Masses. Fr. Deasy was born in Salt Lake City, Utah. He was ordained at Maryknoll in 1959. After ordination Fr. Deasy was assigned to Tanzania and ministered there for 17 years. When he returned to the U.S. he was assigned to the Development Dept. Currently he is assistant director of Mission Promotion and Education which is based in Maryknoll, NY. Parishioners will be invited to sign up for the Maryknoll Magazine. While at the Parish, Fr. Deasy will be happy to talk with parishioners who are interested in doing overseas mission work as a Maryknoll priest, sister, brother or lay missioner.
Strengthen Your Brothers:
The Diocese of Rochester Catholic Men’s Conference will be held Saturday, October 1, at St. Jude the Apostle Parish 4100 Lyell Road Rochester. Registration details at www.exultrochester.org.
Stand Up Comedian:
John Crist will be present at the First Baptist Church, 8414 North Main Street, Interlaken on Saturday, June 4, 2016 at 7:00 p.m. Tickets are $12. Contact 607 216 5249. For more information on the event and John Crist go to the Facebook page for First-Baptist-Church-of-Interlaken.
Scripture Studies—The Gospel of Matthew:
A study of the Gospel of Matthew is available on Tuesdays after the 9:00 a.m. Mass at St. James. For more information phone or text Camille Taranto 607 793 7753.
Extraordinary Jubilee Year of Mercy:
The origin of the Christian Jubilee goes back to Old Testament times. The Law of Moses prescribed a special year for the Jewish people to make restitution for wrongs committed, to forgive debts owed, and set slaves free. In the Roman Catholic tradition, a Holy Year or Jubilee is a great religious event, for the forgiveness of sins and the punishment due to sin. A Jubilee is a year of reconciliation between adversaries. It is a time of solidarity, hope, justice and commitment to serve God with joy and in peace with our brothers and sisters. The guiding principle of the year: “Be merciful just as your Father is merciful.”
The parish is in need of help in two areas that do not take a lot of time and have flexible schedules:
• Offertory Collection Counters – We currently have three counting teams that perform their counting activity either on Sunday (after the 10:30 a.m. Mass) or on Monday. The counting activity takes about one and a half hours depending on the size of the collection(s). We would like to increase the number of teams so that each team counts only once a month. Each team would consist of a minimum of two non-related individuals and would attend a training class to review the Diocesan/St. James counting procedures which takes about one hour.
• Parish Soft Data Base Entry – This activity consists of the computer data entry of all parish donations into a Diocesan mandated data base tool. This activity takes less than an hour and can be performed any time Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday morning. The diocese provides a user id and password along with a training class that takes about 45 minutes.
If you have any question or are interested in signing up for either of these activities please do not hesitate to phone the parish office at 607-387-6781 or email us at email@example.com .
Sisters of St. Joseph of Rochester Prayers:
Sister Susan Schantz, SSJ, continues to pray for St. James the Apostle Parish in Trumansburg. Let us keep Sr. Susan and the Sisters of St. Joseph in our prayers.
Toiletries and Hygiene Products:
There is a basket in the vestibule of the church for donations of toiletries. The request comes from Catholic Charities which is in need of items like shampoo, toothpaste, diapers etc. The items will be transferred to the Catholic Charities Office in Ithaca.
Cancer Services Program (Cortland and Tompkins Counties):
This a program that provides free cancer screenings (breast, cervical, and colorectal) to women from ages 40–64 and men ages 50–64, who are uninsured or have health insurance that does not cover these screenings and who meet income eligibility requirements. These services are provided in local health centers, doctor’s offices, and hospitals. For more information call 1-866 442 2262.
Ministry Schedules for St. James
NEW Schedule begins next weekend, June 4 and 5 (first Sunday):
5:00 p.m. Mass
Lectors: Scott Hamula and Amy Panek
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Barbara Willers, Robin Hamula, Kathleen Rourke
11:00 a.m. Mass
Lectors: Lynne Stager and Maria Connell
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Mark Scibilia-Carver, Glenn Stamps, Mary Szymanski
Schedule for following weekend, June 11 and 12 (second Sunday):
5:00 p.m. Mass
Lectors: Kathleen Rourke and Scott Hamula
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Barbara Willers, Carol Kuklo, Robin Hamula
11:00 a.m. Mass
Lectors: Rich and Hilary Wong
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Lynne Stager, Glenn Stamps, Susan Stafford