Holy Year of Mercy: December 8, 2015–November 20, 2016:
“A time to heal, to help, to forgive.”
Catholics Invite Catholics:
“Come to Mass in the Lord’s house on the Lord’s day.” A way to remind people of a way to be faithful to the third commandment: Keep holy the Lord’s Day.
• Scripture study classes: Tuesdays after the 9:00 a.m. Mass at St. James the Apostle Church
• Capuchin Franciscans candidate discernment weekend: April 8–10, at Miramar Retreat Center, Duxbury, MA.
• Parishioner meeting about Mass schedules: after the Sunday Masses, April 10.
• Combined parish councils meeting: Wednesday, April 13 at 7:00 p.m. at St. Francis Solanus, Interlaken.
• Planning team meeting: Thursday, April 14 at 7:00 p.m. at St. Francis Solanus Church annex
• First Penance (Sacrament of Reconciliation – Confession): Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 9:00 a.m.
• Men and Boys, Father and Son breakfast: at the American Legion in Trumansburg on Sunday, April 24, after 8:00 a.m. Mass.
• St. James Women’s Guild breakfast: Sunday, May 1, after the 8:00 a.m. Mass. The cost is $10 and the guest speaker is Dr. Richard Orzeck, D.V.M.
• First Holy Communion (Eucharist): Sunday, May 15, 2016, 10:30 a.m. Mass.
• Women’s Guild/T’burg Garage sale: Weekend of May 22.
Funeral: Ronald Updike, Wednesday, April 6, 2016
Baptism: Elise Caroleena Wight, Saturday, April 16, 2016.
Merging of Holy Cross, St. Francis Solanus, and St. James the Apostle:
• Thank you to those who participated (or are participating today) in one of the parishioner meetings about the revised Mass schedule. Fr. Bernard and the other members of the planning team will decide the new Mass times at their next meeting on Thursday, April 14. The new schedule and when it will begin will be communicated to parishioners the following weekend.
• Fr. Bernard’s petition requesting the merger of our three parishes and Bishop Matano’s letter of acknowledgment are now on the website: www.stjamestburg.com/parish-merge. The minutes from the March 16 meeting of the planning team are also posted there.
• Please continue to pray the Unity Prayer during your daily prayer this Easter season.
The combined parish councils for St. James the Apostle, St. Francis Solanus, and Holy Cross will meet this Wednesday, April 13, at 7:00 p.m. at St. Francis Solanus, Interlaken. This is the first meeting as a unified parish council. Part of the agenda will be to review the guidelines for the new unified parish council.
Between the Lakes Planning Team Meeting:
The planning team will next be meeting this Thursday, April 14, at 7:00 p.m. in the St. Francis Solanus Church annex.
First Penance (Sacrament of Reconciliation, Confession) will be held on Sunday April 17 at 9:00 a.m. First Holy Communion (Eucharist), will be Sunday, May 15, at the 10:30 a.m. Mass.
Women’s Guild Garage Sale in Conjunction With T’burg Village Garage Sale:
The Women’s Guild garage sale will be on the May 22 weekend. Please donate clean and unbroken items. They may be dropped off at the rectory garage. We cannot accept curtain rods, T.V.’s, computers, clothes, or books.
2015-2016 Catholic Ministries Appeal Report:
Our parish is well behind in meeting our given goal of $19,696. Every family’s help is needed. If we do not reach our goal we have to make up the difference from our ordinary weekend collections, which at the present time would be a hefty burden. Envelopes for making a pledge are in the pews and in the vestibule of the church. You may also contribute online. Please participate in the Appeal and do what you are able. If everyone participates we will reach our given goal. Your help is needed.
Report as of April 5:
Parish goal: $19,696 Pledged: $15,810 # of Donors: 88
% of goal: 80.27%
It is understood that those going to the breakfast would first be together in attendance at Mass. Men and Boys, Father and Son breakfast will be on Sunday, April 24, after St. James the Apostle’s 8:00 a.m. Mass. The breakfast will be held at the American Legion in Trumansburg. Sign-up sheets are located in the vestibule of the churches.
St. James Women’s Guild breakfast will be on Sunday, May 1, after the St. James 8:00 a.m. Mass. It will be held at the American Legion in Trumansburg. Tickets are needed in advance and are available after all the Masses. The cost is $10 and the guest speaker is Dr. Richard Orzeck, D.V.M.
Scripture Studies—The Gospel of Matthew:
A study of the Gospel of Matthew is available on Tuesdays after the 9:00 a.m. Mass at St. James. For more information phone or text Camille Taranto 607 793 7753.
Extraordinary Jubilee Year of Mercy:
The origin of the Christian Jubilee goes back to Old Testament times. The Law of Moses prescribed a special year for the Jewish people to make restitution for wrongs committed, to forgive debts owed, and set slaves free. In the Roman Catholic tradition, a Holy Year or Jubilee is a great religious event, for the forgiveness of sins and the punishment due to sin. A Jubilee is a year of reconciliation between adversaries. It is a time of solidarity, hope, justice and commitment to serve God with joy and in peace with our brothers and sisters. The guiding principle of the year: “Be merciful just as your Father is merciful.”
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) Rice Bowl:
Please return your filled rice bowls to the church at your earliest convenience. You may also write a check for the amount in the rice bowl or simply go to crsricebowl.org/give. Choose the method that works best for you.
Caring for Our Common Home:
Putting the encyclical Laudato Si into action, on the eve of Earth Day, April 21, there will be a presentation on how we and congregations can use less, waste less, and better protect our planet. This event will be held at Immaculate Conception Parish Hall, Ithaca. A potluck dinner will start at 5:30 p.m. (please bring a dish to pass) and the program will begin at 6:00 p.m. It is sponsored by the Interfaith Climate Action Network and the Immaculate Conception Parish Service Team. For more information, contact Laurie Konwinski, 607 272-5062 ext. 12 or LKonwinski@dor.og.
Sisters of St. Joseph of Rochester Prayers:
Sister Susan Schantz, SSJ, continues to pray for St. James the Apostle Parish in Trumansburg. Let us keep Sr. Susan and the Sisters of St. Joseph in our prayers.
Toiletries and Hygiene Products:
There is a basket in the vestibule of the church for donations of toiletries. The request comes from Catholic Charities which is in need of items like shampoo, toothpaste, diapers etc. The items will be transferred to the Catholic Charities Office in Ithaca.
Cancer Services Program (Cortland and Tompkins Counties):
This a program that provides free cancer screenings (breast, cervical, and colorectal) to women from ages 40–64 and men ages 50–64, who are uninsured or have health insurance that does not cover these screenings and who meet income eligibility requirements. These services are provided in local health centers, doctor’s offices, and hospitals. For more information call 1-866 442 2262.
Ministry Schedules for St. James
Schedule for this weekend, April 9 and 10 (second Sunday):
5:00 p.m. Mass
Lectors: Scott Hamula and Kathleen Rourke
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Barbara Willers, Robin Hamula, Carol Kuklo
8:00 a.m. Mass
Lectors: Tara Webster and Barbara Willers
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Ron Singer, Mary Szymanski, Joan Hogan
10:30 a.m. Mass
Lectors: Rich and Hilary Wong
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Eileen Heptig, Mark Scibilia-Carver, Glenn Stamps
Schedule for next weekend, April 16 and 17 (third Sunday):
5:00 p.m. Mass
Lectors: Barbara Willers and Amy Panek
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Kathleen Rourke, Cathy DelSignore, Anne Haus
8:00 a.m. Mass
Lectors: Mary Szymanski and George Hade
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Marc Albanese, Traci Bump, Barbara Willers
10:30 a.m. Mass
Lectors: Glenn Stamps and Nancy Olszewski
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Susan Stafford, Mark Scibilia-Carver, Lynne Stager