Holy Year of Mercy: December 8, 2015–November 20, 2016:
“A time to heal, to help, to forgive.”
Catholics Invite Catholics:
“Come to Mass in the Lord’s house on the Lord’s day.” A way to remind people of a way to be faithful to the third commandment: Keep holy the Lord’s Day.
• Scripture study classes: Tuesdays after the 9:00 a.m. Mass at St. James the Apostle Church
• Stations of the Cross: at Holy Cross on Thursdays of Lent at 6:00 p.m.
• Stations of the Cross and Benediction: at St. James the Apostle on Fridays of Lent at 7:00 p.m.
• Meeting for parents whose children will be celebrating the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist: Sunday, March 13, at 9:15 a.m. in the Pine Room.
• Cecil B. DeMille’s The Ten Commandments showing on Palm Sunday, March 20, at 2 p.m., at the Regal Cinemas at the Ithaca Mall.
• Capuchin Franciscans candidate discernment weekend: April 8–10, at Miramar Retreat Center, Duxbury, MA.
Palm Sunday of the Passion of the Lord:
Palm Sunday is next Sunday, March 20. Weather permitting the blessing of the palms will take place outside the church with a brief homily followed by a procession into the church.
Easter Triduum Schedule:
The Easter Triduum this year takes please on March 24–26, and concludes on Easter Sunday, March 27.
• Holy Thursday of the Lord’s Supper will be at 7:00 p.m. at Holy Cross, Ovid
• Good Friday of the Passion of the Lord will be at 3:00 p.m. at St. Francis Solanus, Interlaken
• Saturday’s Easter Vigil in the Holy Night will begin at 7:30 p.m. at St. James the Apostle, Trumansburg. On Holy Saturday there are no 5:00 p.m. vigil Masses. The first vigil Mass cannot be celebrated until after sunset.
• Easter Sunday of the Resurrection of the Lord will follow the regular Sunday Mass schedules at each of the churches.
Merging of Holy Cross, St. Francis Solanus and St. James the Apostle Planning Team Update:
• Minutes from the January/February parishioner meetings at each of the churches are available on the website: http://www.stjamestburg.com/parish-merge/.
• The three parishes’ pastoral councils and finance councils met during February as part of the process of considering a merger of Holy Cross, St. Francis Solanus, and St. James the Apostle.
• The planning team is working on a weekend Mass schedule that can be handled by one priest with two Masses at St. James the Apostle and one each at Holy Cross and St. Francis Solanus.
• Bishop Mattano has affirmed his support of a Mass schedule that includes Masses at all three churches. He conveyed his gratitude to Fr. Bernard and the planning team for all the work being done to create a unified faith community and ensure a vibrant Catholic presence between Cayuga and Seneca Lakes.
• Please continue to use the “Prayer of Unity” during your daily prayer this Lent.
• The planning team will meet this Wednesday, at 6:30 p.m. at St. Francis Solanus, Interlaken.
Stations of the Cross Devotion:
Stations of the Cross are held at Holy Cross on Thursdays of Lent at 6:00 p.m. followed by a soup supper. At St. James the Apostle they are held on Fridays of Lent at 7:00 p.m. followed by Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament.
Scripture Studies—The Gospel of Matthew:
A study of the Gospel of Matthew is available on Tuesdays after the 9:00 a.m. Mass at St. James. For more information phone or text Camille Taranto 607 793 7753.
The Ten Commandments:
Turner Classic Movies is presenting a showing of Cecil B. DeMille’s The Ten Commandments starring Charlton Heston on Palm Sunday, March 20, at 2 p.m., at the Regal Cinemas at the Ithaca Mall. You can order tickets on the TCM website: www.tcm.com.
Parents whose children will be celebrating the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist, will meet next Sunday, March 13, at 9:15 a.m. in the Pine Room.
Extraordinary Jubilee Year of Mercy:
The origin of the Christian Jubilee goes back to Old Testament times. The Law of Moses prescribed a special year for the Jewish people to make restitution for wrongs committed, to forgive debts owed, and set slaves free. In the Roman Catholic tradition, a Holy Year or Jubilee is a great religious event, for the forgiveness of sins and the punishment due to sin. A Jubilee is a year of reconciliation between adversaries. It is a time of solidarity, hope, justice and commitment to serve God with joy and in peace with our brothers and sisters. The guiding principle of the year: “Be merciful just as your Father is merciful.”
Certificates of Appreciation for Church Volunteers:
Certificates were given at the dinner/dance, held on Sunday, February 21, to those who were present. Certificates of appreciation are available for all volunteers who did not receive one. They are located in the vestibule of the church.
Church Cleaners Needed:
Cleaning a small section of the church takes about thirty (30) minutes once a month. Contact Traci Bump at 607 387 3796 if you are interested.
Sacristan is Still Needed for the Sunday 10:30 a.m. Mass:
This need has been expressed earlier this year and continues to be a need. Basically it is setting up for the 10:30 AM Sunday Mass and assuring all has been set in place after the Mass. A job description has been drawn up. It would require arriving 15 minutes before Mass and staying 15 minutes after Mass. Please contact the parish office for inquiries.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) Rice Bowl:
Please join the nearly 14,000 Catholic communities across the US—in a life- changing Lenten journey with the Rice Bowl. Pick up your family’s rice bowl from the vestibule of the church and don’t forget to download the CRS Rice Bowl app! Remember, what you give up for Lent changes lives.
Please visit our web site www.stjamestburg.com to get started with this convenient giving option. On the home screen select the <giving> option and on the next screen select the <online giving> button. This will bring you to the “Online Giving Welcome” screen where you can create your own ID and password. Once your ID and password has been established you can log in and setup you banking information and you are ready to set up transactions. If you have any questions or concerns please contact Ron Singer at 607-387-6577 or firstname.lastname@example.org
2015-2016 Catholic Ministries Appeal Report:
Our parish is well behind in meeting our given goal of $19,696. Every family’s help is needed. If we do not reach our goal we have to make up the difference from our ordinary weekend collections, which at the present time would be a hefty bill of $5,876. Envelopes for making a pledge are in the pews and in the vestibule of the church. Please participate in the Appeal and do what you are able. If everyone participates we will reach our given goal. Your help is needed.
Report as of March 9:
Parish goal: $19,696 Pledged: $13,820 # of Donors: 75 % of goal: 70.17%
Capuchin Franciscans Candidate Discernment Weekend:
A discernment weekend will be held April 8–10, 2016, at Miramar Retreat Center, Duxbury, MA. The theme: Hearing the Voice of Jesus in the Gospels & Following It. Please contact Brother Tim, email@example.com for more information and registration.
Ministry Schedules for St. James
Schedule for this weekend, March 12 and 13 (second Sunday):
5:00 p.m. Mass
Lectors: Scott Hamula and Kathleen Rourke
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Carol Kuklo, Robin Hamula, Barbara Willers
8:00 a.m. Mass
Lectors: Tara Webster and Barbara Willers
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Ron Singer, Mary Szymanski, Joan Hogan
10:30 a.m. Mass
Lectors: Rich and Hilary Wong
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Eileen Heptig, Mark Scibilia-Carver, Glenn Stamps
Schedule for next weekend, March 19 and 20 (Palm Sunday):
5:00 p.m. Mass
Lectors: Barbara Willers, Amy Panek, Scott Hamula
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Kathleen Rourke, Cathy DelSignor, Anne Haus
8:00 a.m. Mass
Lectors: Mary Szymanski, George Hade, Barbara Willers
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Marc Albanese, Anna Zavala, Ron Singer
10:30 a.m. Mass
Lectors: Glenn Stamps, Nancy Olszewski
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Susan Stafford, Mark Scibilia-Carver, Lynne Stager